Bulgaria urgently needs a special structure for coordination of the green agenda and sustainable development, write MOVE.BG, WWF Bulgaria, Greenpeace-Bulgaria, and “Institute for Circular Economy”.
In recent years, we have witnessed more frequent in intensity and consequences climate anomalies in Bulgaria, Europe, and the world - torrential rains and floods, drought and water scarcity, forest fires, unusually prolonged heatwaves. The climate crisis is no longer a future forecast, but a reality that affects the lives of each of us.
Are we prepared as a society, a country, and an international community to tackle climate change and biodiversity loss?
We will talk about the solutions and good examples on September 28 at the special conference The Road to COP 26: The Choice of Bulgaria, which MOVE.BG organizes together with the Embassy of the United Kingdom in Bulgaria and the Embassy of Italy in Bulgaria. The initiative is dedicated to the preparation of our country for the UN Climate Conference COP 26 at the end of October, hosted by the United Kingdom in partnership with Italy. During the forum in Glasgow, each country should present its national strategy for tackling climate change in relation to the objectives of the Paris Agreement to limit global warming.
How is our country preparing for COP 26 and what position will we present? Why is the Glasgow forum a chance for Bulgaria, Europe, and the world?
We are inviting you to the conference The Road to COP 26: The Choice of Bulgaria, which will meet leading Bulgarian and international experts, governmental officials, environmentalists, and diplomats. Together with them, we will discuss the challenges Bulgaria faces and what opportunities the international forum in the UK creates.
We will also present good examples on the four main topics of COP 26:
- Securing global net-zero emissions by mid-century and keeping 1.5 degrees within reach
- Encouraging climate adaptation to protect communities and natural habitats
- Mobilising finance for a green transition and sustainable investments
- Stimulating global cooperation
The conference The Road to COP 26: The Choice of Bulgaria will be broadcasted online on the MOVE.BG's Facebook and YouTube channels and each of you will be able to participate with comments and questions. We start at 10:30 a.m. on September 28th. Register here.
Moderator of the conference: Irina Nedeva, Chairwoman of the Association of European Journalists-Bulgaria, and Journalists at Bulgarian National Radio (BNR).
10:30-10:40 The Road to COP 26: Time for Action - welcome speech
- H.E. Rob Dixon, Ambassador of the United Kingdom to Bulgaria
- H.E. Giuseppina Zarra, Ambassador of Italy to Bulgaria
- Sasha Bezuhanova, Founder of MOVE.BG.
10:40-11:15 The Road to COP 26: Together We Can Do More - 5X7 keynote expert presentations
- Mission COP 26 - David Moran, COP26 Regional Ambassador: Europe, Central Asia, Turkey & Iran, FCDO-Cabinet Office COP26 Joint Team
- Mission Climate Adaptation - Lubomila Yordanova, Founder of the greentech startup Plan A
- Mission Energy Transition - Mr. Michele de Nigris, Director Sustainability and Energy Sources at RSE SpA
- Mission Sustainable Finance - Hristina Pendicheva, Head of the subgroup "Sustainable Finance", Ministry of Finance
- Mission Biodiversity - Vesselina Kavrakova - Country Manager of WWF Bulgaria
11:15-12:05 The Road to COP 26: The Choice of Bulgaria - expert roundtable
- Atanas Pekanov, Deputy Prime Minister
- Boryana Kamenova, Head of Climate Change Policy Department at Ministry of Environment and Waters
- Kosyo Stoychev - Associate Professor, Ph.D., Sofia University
- Dimitar Enchev - Managing Partner at Postscriptum Ventures, a fund for sustainable investments
- Hussein Yemendzhiev - Associate Professor, Ph.D., Burgas University, founder of Burgas-based startup ENOVA H20 - a project that develops a smart water quality monitoring system
12:05-12:20 The Road to COP 26: Have You Say - Q&A session with comments from the audience
12:20-12:30 Closing remarks by Sasha Bezuhanova, Founder of MOVE.BG
Join us on September 28th at 10:30 AM. The Conference will be in the Bulgarian language.
Fighting climate change and biodiversity loss are processes in which the actions of each of us matter.
Be part of the road to our sustainable future!